Anything worth doing will have struggles. But anything worth the struggle is worth doing ~ Megan Finsel

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Woe to the Block of the Writer


If you’re an author, or writer, or just someone who’s ever had to put words onto paper (writing assignment anyone?) then these two words are probably your worse fear:
Writer’s Block.
Yah, I know, I cringed, too.

But anyone currently suffering from this dreaded complication of the imagination, take heart, ‘cause you’re not alone.
Right now I have it, too.
    Nothing is more irksome then having great ideas, and maybe even the words in which to put them, but not being able to sit down and actually write. Whether from the emotional or physical stress of daily living,
lack of sleep,
alignment of the stars,

direction of the Wind,
                                           or whatever,

we get writer’s block; it’s all just part of the job.


If you’ve ever had a school assignment, sat down at your computer knowing you have to write, say, 500 words, and just stared at the screen for an hour till your eyes started burning, yah, I’m there!! Lol, it can be the most frustrating thing in the world but I guess it’s not the end of the world.

    It could be worse………………………………….…………...……… alright I can’t imagine how at the moment but I’ll let you know when I do.


Writer’s block, to me, always means I’m stressed out about something, which makes it harder for me to “see” what I’m trying to write, which also makes me stressed cause all I want to do is write, which makes me try harder to “see” – well, you can guess where this is going.

But you know what?

If that’s the case then maybe the Lord has somewhere else He wants me to be instead of in front of my computer.

    The up side is, when I can’t actually write something; I can almost always revise so maybe I’ll give those short stories I wrote a little TLC (see The Once Upon a Time Challenge under Hey; Check This Out! in the sidebar for the 411 on my two-month short story writing adventure).

    Hmm, so maybe writer’s block isn’t a problem, it’s just God redirecting our creative energy (although I would totally prefer GPS or a map or something instead, but I guess He’s got His own way of doing things).
And you know what?
You can’t let it get you down
and you shouldn't get frustrated over it.

It’s not worth sacrificing your joy in life.
I learned that a couple weeks ago when I had a really tough time writing
and struggled way too hard
for way too looooooooooong
and almost missed out on some fun Family time!

ArT is finicky, lol, so is artistic creativity.
But I guess writer’s block is just that, a block, which is temporary.
So sometimes you just gotta make those lemons into lemonade!
This means I have some free time to explore other creative avenues…
Ooooo…

Kk, I’m gonna go play with paint, but I was just wondering:

If there’re any authors, writers, or artists reading this,
What do you do when you have a creativity block
and how do you overcome it?



P.S. Just so you know - to leave a comment, click on the ‘comments’ icon below this post. It’s easy! See it? Down there under "what'd you think"? You do? Ok then… wait, are you sure? Its right down there, can’t miss it, it says ‘comments’… Wait, what’s that? I need to relax? And I’ve been staring at a computer screen for much too long? Lol, I think your right, ok then I’ll just leave you with this…… the ‘comments’ button is… yah, yah I get it, you got it, and I should relax… L8r J

No comments:

Post a Comment