Anything worth doing will have struggles. But anything worth the struggle is worth doing ~ Megan Finsel

Monday, April 4, 2011

My Newfound Fascination

As you already know, I’m a fantasy writer, and I love all subjects in Fantasy
(fairies, elves, mermaids…)
not saying that I write them traditionally, you’ll learn what I mean with time.

But there’s something else you should know about me.
I have an insane Fascination for one specific sort of character, one that to me is almost as grand as the unicorn (because, well, horses are my favorite animal, like you couldn’t already guess that). But no, there is one other, one other creature that has had my eye for quite some time and has popped up in almost all my writing and artwork.

Dragons.

    Yep, I mean those scaly beasts which are often portrayed as monsters, treasure-hoarders and princess-nappers. But fans of the movie How to Train Your Dragon (love it!!) will agree when I say this:

not all dragons are evil!

Nope, I purpose there can be good dragons along with the bad, I mean, come on! Just because you have bat wings, claws, fangs, and other reptilian features shouldn’t automatically label you a menace. Medieval literature and folklore has done well to trap dragons in that category, however I’m here to break them out.

    Here’s a little taste of what I mean.
    Alright, close your eyes.
    No, wait, don’t do that then you can’t read this! Lol, ok, imagine yourself closing your eyes, and picture this:

Long rays of winter sunlight poured down through the barren treetops and sought to touch what no man had ever touched before. There! Through the woods, the slender body of a graceful dragon lurked. As he came into the rays, his crimson scales, like fish’s scales, like snakeskin, rippled with the muscles of his neck, reflecting brilliant flashes of white sunlight off their sharpened edges as he turned his head to look through the trees. With each step he took, his armor clanked like coins, and the snow crunched submissively beneath the sharpened talons of his feet. His tail brushed the bark off the trees he passed, his wings folded comfortably over his back, enrobing him with thin pleats of skin, his veins like Spanish lace. He licked his lips with a forked snake’s tongue, breathing frosty smoke around the golden whiskers of his chin. Lifting his head, he listened with cupped ears and flared wide nostrils, his eyes squinting into the depths of the forest, searching, scouting, seeking. He was on a quest, a quest to find the reason, the meaning, which was worth far more than gold…

Ah, and that, my friends, is just a taste of what’s to come! I love dragons, and you’ll see them pop up a lot here on Nutmeg, especially in my writing. Dragons, to me, are the epitome of the fantastical beings. They represent power,

                                             imagination,
dignity, strength,

freedom,
and even gentle love in some ways.

All the traits that should be found in our human personalities.

Granted they can be greedy, and depending on the type, (western vs. eastern) they can be vicious. But their imperfections are what makes them real and relatable.

    I hope to be talking more about this subject. Actually, one of the short stories I recently wrote (for the Challenge) is about a dragon princess. I’m proudest of this one and can’t wait to share it with you! It’s a thrilling tale about an arrogant prince and a dying king and a princess he’s supposed to marry to save the kingdom but she’s been enchanted and in love with… yah, never mind, you’re just going to have to read it ;)

P.S.
I just finished the first 2 short stories of April! So that’s 12 so far…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment