Anything worth doing will have struggles. But anything worth the struggle is worth doing ~ Megan Finsel

Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Novel Idea

Writing is my passion (like you didn’t already know that, lol) but even though I love writing in all forms and genres be it:

 Poetry,
Fiction,
Fantasy (my specialty)
 Essays,
Reports,
Short stories,
Novels
You get it.
I kind of favor one genre in one form.

    You remember earlier in March/April when I challenged myself to write 20 short stories in 2 months (see The Once Upon a Time Challenge to relive that adventure)? Well, I must say, after writing only short stories for that whole time I realized something very important:

                                                 I crave novels!               

Lol, it’s amazing how exhausting it can be to corral all those details and all that emotion, to not give 3 or 4 different plots to a story on the risk of making it too long to be called “short”. It’s like when you played hide-and-seek as a kid, and you hid someplace really small and you crouched there for a really long time until your arms and legs just wanted to s-t-r-e-t-c-h! 

That’s what my creativity has been longing for, a nice good stretch,
And I think it’s time
                                           to return
to the area
of my genre expertise.

    Before I started The Challenge, I had just finished the rough draft of my fourth novel ~ which I’m writing in a series ~ and I think it’s finally time to return to that.

    A novel is a completely different beast from a short story, but tis one with which I’m quite familiar. Ranging between 50,000-100,000+ words, novels can cover any topic, from any point of view, with any character!
It’s not restricted like the short story.
You can just go and go and go and write and write and the story itself, as long as it’s cohesive with
 adventure,
                                                    plot,
                                                  risk,
drama

and excitement,
can just continue on and on…

Alright, lol, maybe not like that but you get the idea. The novel is a glorified short story and, man, I love the wiggle room!

    The place between “Once Upon a Time” and “The End” is where anything can happen (and if it’s one of my pieces ‘anything’ most often does!). So, I think completing this novel is the next step in my journey. What journey? The ultimate journey, of a teen seeking her ambitious dream! Who knows where it’ll take us…

No comments:

Post a Comment