Anything worth doing will have struggles. But anything worth the struggle is worth doing ~ Megan Finsel

Friday, August 21, 2015

The Truth about Beauty; Body Image

    Everyone, from adults to teens alike, can struggle with body image. It is not something to be embarrassed about and it is not an isolated thing; if you're struggling with body image problems, you are not alone.

    I've struggled with my own body image problems for many years now. After my accident, I was in a wheelchair for a time, and because of my blood sugar, my weight fluctuated a lot. Shopping for clothes was always frustrating, and I hated seeing myself in full-length mirrors.


    "I am fearfully and wonderfully made..." it took me a really long time to believe that verse! No matter how often I read it, I couldn't believe it applied to me. I had spent all those adolescent years thinking that I wasn't any good, and being down on myself for not looking like the person I thought I was supposed to be. I know that I'm beautiful in God's sight, but I struggled to come to terms with myself and the way my body was.

    It was only a year or so ago when I realized that the person I am now, from head to toe, the way I look and act, everything that makes me ME, God made on purpose. Only then did I start believing I was "fearfully and wonderfully made", and I started accepting myself the way I am. Sometimes, I still have those same negative thoughts, like when I step on the scale, or look in a mirror on a bad day. But God never lets them stick around for long. Learning to love myself has been a hard, but gratifying, lesson.

    The following video by model and motivational speaker, Ashley Graham, is both remarkable and inspiring. I really enjoyed her lecture because she touched on a lot of important points I myself had to come to terms with, and her opening is especially important...




    And this next video I also found to be really inspirational and uplifting as it shines a light on what I've been talking about. It can be surprising to find that some of the most confident, fit, and attractive people could still have their own body image struggles...







    Thankfully, this is something that can be overcome, (maybe not all at once, but little by little). With prayer, the Lord can help you to a place of healing and acceptance. From my personal experience, I can tell you that this is a wonderful place, and I pray this article blessed you in some way. I'm going to post some helpful resources and scriptures below for anyone struggling with their body image and loving themselves.


Resources:


Scriptures:

  • Proverbs 19:8
  • 1 John 3:1
  • Ephesians 5:29
  • John 13:34-35
  • 1 Peter 4:8
  • Song of Solomon 4:7


Want to read the previous posts from this series? 

Here is the list:
  1. Introducing the Truth about Beauty
  2. The Truth about Beauty; the Media is Damaging Us
  3. The Truth about Beauty; Loving Yourself
  4. The Truth about Beauty; Bullying
  5. The Truth about Beauty; the Definition of “Pretty”

No comments:

Post a Comment