Anything worth doing will have struggles. But anything worth the struggle is worth doing ~ Megan Finsel

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Putting the Long in Short Stories

Pssst! I have a secret. Shhhhhhhhh don’t tell anybody! Swear you won’t tell? Cross your heart?
……………………………………….

Ok, I believe you, so I’m going to tell you.
Here it is.
(Pause for dramatic effect).


I can’t write ‘short’ stories.

I know! Shocking, isn’t it? You would think that shorter is easier, right? WRONG! I just can’t swing it! It’s hard for me to condense a complex plot into 1,500-10,000 words while balancing the emotions, the actions and the scenery without making it over a hundred pages…

Wait a second.
 I can see you scratching your head probably going, “100 pages is short?”
Ok let me explain:

I think that anything under 10,000 words is a short story. Between 10,000 and 50,000 is a novella (a short novel too long to be called a short story) and anything 50,000 to 100,000+ words is a full-fledged novel. And all my short stories long to be full-fledged novels, LOL! That’s why this challenge is such a, well, challenge because keeping things short is my
kryptonite.

But challenges are good, right? Challenges are what makes life FUN!

They give you goals to achieve…
Stars to shoot for…
Dreams to seek...
And this is good practice for me, I guess.
You'll never get good at something unless you Practice.
So I'll just keep on keepin' on!
 Let the INflow! :)

P.S. In The Once Upon a Time Challenge I have 9 finished short stories!
I love my job <3

No comments:

Post a Comment